Author Topic: French Hope  (Read 114610 times)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
Re: French Hope
« Reply #525 on: 17-10-2011, 12:10:11 »
La Varde and Sedan need new buildings (Sedan much more) but the design is cool on both.

Operation Dynamo = best FH2 map ever.

I don't see how this is too big since it has only three flags at a time (SoT much ?) and tons of planes which obviously need plenty of space.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 17-10-2011, 13:10:06 »
We're working on some many maps (bir hakeim and monthermé for me)

I don"t know if there will be other events, just be there and we will see !
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 17-10-2011, 13:10:38 »
Count on me guys. Is this worth an official news-item?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 17-10-2011, 14:10:22 »
La Varde and Sedan need new buildings (Sedan much more) but the design is cool on both.

Operation Dynamo = best FH2 map ever.

I don't see how this is too big since it has only three flags at a time (SoT much ?) and tons of planes which obviously need plenty of space.
It is too big because there are no terrain forms forcing people to choose one route or another. There are no natural bottlenecks no place to form a front line with so few players. Too much space for flanking makes it too hard to defend. Push system is not enough - would be nic to see such big map or even bigger (I hope to see such on eastern front) but it needs to be better designed. This kind of map with such amount of vehicles would be awesome but with about 200-300 players minimum. Also view distance should be limited - map looks odd from air. Not SoT at all but still good map.

Looking forward to final versions  ;)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 17-10-2011, 14:10:01 »
It is too big because there are no terrain forms forcing people to choose one route or another. There are no natural bottlenecks no place to form a front line with so few players. Too much space for flanking makes it too hard to defend.

... in your opinion ;). I find it a very nice change, although I also like straight forward maps such as Hurtgen...

Push system is not enough - would be nic to see such big map or even bigger (I hope to see such on eastern front) but it needs to be better designed. This kind of map with such amount of vehicles would be awesome but with about 200-300 players minimum.

Do you mean bigger maps than OD would need 200-300 players or OD itself ? Sure, I admit for 64 you would have to close a road or even make some flags impossible to recap as in PHL, but 128 is really enough for this layout.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 17-10-2011, 17:10:13 »
Dynamo is really nice, once the lightmaps will be applied it should be really good. The industrial parts feel empty however, the mansion part aswell, not enough statics around like boxes, crates, etc, need more statics.

The country side of it is awesome :P

The view distance is cool but it looks weird from the sky, you should reduce it a bit to have a ball of view (you don't see the edge) and not an advancing line of view.

La varde is strange, many static bugs (walls flotting over the ground) and really weird textures near the bunkers, ugly textures. And you should get rid off all that crap like ugly camo on the bunkers, all those drawings inside the bunkers aswell make it REALLY "fanmade" and not professional at all. Also many cannons could be statics instead of usable, like the big LEFHs in the bunkers.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 17-10-2011, 19:10:07 »
So at what time tomorrow will be these maps on the server?

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 17-10-2011, 19:10:38 »
I guess they are lacking severely in the public relations skills...

They have a 126 server available all week but with no publicity its not gonna get full... or even half full... 50€ to the trash.

Are there any admins available on the server at least ?!

A small advice, start with smaller maps until you get a few more players on the server then change it to the big maps.

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 17-10-2011, 19:10:41 »
Pity that such event hasn't been advertised on the main site... I wonder how many people will appear tomorrow... I bet that not everybody read modding topics...

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 17-10-2011, 20:10:29 »
Nah... Anyway, I'll try to be there!!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 17-10-2011, 20:10:01 »
I will be there for sure. I took a rough look at the maps and besides the things, that need some more artisitc tweeking, it is nice to see some quiet big maps with loads of vehicles for more tactical movements and flanking. FH2 needs more maps of these kind IMO and not only bottleneck designs. I am quiet excited how these maps will work. See you on the Battlefield. ;)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 17-10-2011, 22:10:51 »
Ok, as I will pop up tomorrow only for a moment I have tested maps once again and looked for the detalis. Still, Sedan is not thrilling. But I changed my mind about Dynamo after about 2h of driving around the map. The flat area makes this map look much bigger than it really is but it's awesome.

Thing that annoys me on this one is lack of some artistic feel when you look on villages, farms and german mainbase, maybe it is because it is WIP, but it can discourage some ppl and make bad first impression on a PUBLIC test. It need to be limited on edges - you can now drive out of the map! :P

who is the mapper?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 17-10-2011, 23:10:11 »
My first singleplayer sandbox impressions:

Dynamo
Fantastic air map. Although entering an aircraft (either RAF or Luftwaffe) causes the map to go off-centre (see screenshot). Dying or leaving the plane fixes this, and it does not affect the minimap, only the "full" map.

Also, the westernmost (and to a lesser extent, the easternmost) flags are a bit too close to the map edge. Although there is room to manoeuver, they could have perhaps been placed a bit more closer to the center to allow flanking from the edge size as well instead of only center, and to allow the positions to support each other (or, the attackers to launch further attacks from).

La Varde
Love the propaganda posters and comics in the German bunkers.
Lovely terrain, perfect for ambushes.
Maybe add a second FFI spawn in H4-ish for overland assault.
Maybe add a German spawn north of Observatory (to make it easier to get the Wespe and man the coastal defences).
US tank spawn is cramped to say the least... gonna be a NY rush hour here every time the map starts.

Sedan
Mmmmmmkay.... so German vehicles can only cross via the bridge they have to build? I have a bad feeling about this... "Crossing zone" - are we supposed to be able to ford here? At least I wasn't. ??? I have a gut feeling that in public play the city is going to be mostly ignored as the tanks can only get up to the East flag in the south and all the other flags can also be capped from the west of the river. Not going to work even in 128p without some changes.

I suggest unrecappable pushmode (eg. first three flags of PHL or first two flags of Supercharge) for ALL flags. First "wave": crossing and Sedan East. Second "wave": Sedan Centre. Third "wave": the flags west of the river. Have the last French position be either uncappable or open to capture only after everything else falls. Should keep things going even in 64p and provide at least some incentive to fight through the city, other than sightseeing.

Fantastic terrain, though, and lovely to fly and drive through.

Overall
These maps are a breath of fresh air, and I like what they might yet become, but as said, they need work still, and not only on the cosmetic side.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 17-10-2011, 23:10:06 »
Your suggestions of all of you are very interesting and usefull for our works

I will only answer at the drawings in la varde : they're historically true.
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 17-10-2011, 23:10:19 »
That was what i thought when I saw them. I hope to see all La Varde statics in better quality someday.

About OD: did fights took place in Sanatorium near Zuydcoote? If not, it should be off the combat area (something like mainfield on hurtgen) because it will be hard to make it good and realistic looking so it could be only nice looking thingy on horrizon or from air to avoid making uber detailed statics.

Also: Doesn't map lacks some blockhouse/bunker stuff?
http://dynamodk.voila.net/MEMZUYDCOOTE.jpg