Author Topic: 1st person hit/health depletion  (Read 751 times)

Offline default_player

• View Profile
1st person hit/health depletion
« on: 20-08-2013, 13:08:30 »
I'm not saying "ya have ta do this man"...because I'm not sure if it's altogether possible or that it might bloat the size of the mods rar files if it is. Most likely if all that's true or not, it would be time consuming to do anyway I'm sure. What I envisioned was some sort of gore tastefully applied - to the soldiers in first person. Essentially the forearms, hands, sleeves, etc. The blood puddle effect third person applied to the first person arms, to be activated (pop up) after receiving a wound or trauma. And just guessing here, but I'm sure that would have to be applied to each 3d model set of arms (a lot of importing/exporting and rebuilding perhaps.)

Anyway, if a shortcut or work around to limit the hassle was possible, I'm not saying use the puddles from 3p literally, I was thinking new applied texture maps. One example for long sleeves, the texture could be applied to look as if it's leaking down the sleeve/arm, but only visible at the wrist/cuff extending to the rest of the hand (picture the green-coated US faction holding a 1911 with this effect) The weapon models of course would be another separate issue to involve, but realistically too involved altogether.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
Re: 1st person hit/health depletion
« Reply #1 on: 20-08-2013, 15:08:18 »
I think I understand what your saying here, but it just doesn't seem feasible either way I look at it although it's not impossible to do. We'd have to get around the engine limitations to allow textures to change in the middle of a game, make the textures, write scripts, and so on. I'm not sure how it would affect the server but if it was client side only it should definitely run without any lag.

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-08-2013, 16:08:23 »
There are way less developers left everyone is waiting for the next patch with new armys vehicles weapons. Many are complaining about big gameplay issues.

And still these threats keep comming up asking for small (often totally unneccesary changes) involving huge ammount of work if even possible, not affecting gameplay at all.

I dont get it.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-08-2013, 16:08:43 »
Come on, hyperanthropos, everyone can make suggestions. What you think is unnecessary, might be a cool feature for somenone else. And not everyone is reading everything here, and therefore doesn't know how the current development is going.

What I think about this one, is that it is very difficult to make. Not all hits are causing blood to appear on the sleeves, it would be weird if it does on hits in the stomach, for example. And to code it in a way that it only appears when logical is very hard, I guess.

Offline default_player

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-08-2013, 00:08:08 »
I am behind in the dev loop, but take my account name into mind as well (I'm strictly single player experience)

What I think about this one, is that it is very difficult to make. Not all hits are causing blood to appear on the sleeves, it would be weird if it does on hits in the stomach, for example. And to code it in a way that it only appears when logical is very hard, I guess.

It could be a combo of sleeves or hand, ultimately it would all depend on both how it looks and how it functions. Ideally it would be neat to be able to toggle it with a key or button similar to the night vision in vanilla special forces. Aside from 1st person, a simplified 3rd person animation would be interesting to see too. If anybody remembers Rogue Spear for the pc about 2001, upon wounding the player had a 50/50 chance of limping in 3rd person and there was blood decals on the player model in 3rd as well.
« Last Edit: 21-08-2013, 00:08:29 by default_player »

Offline BaskaBommi

• Fought the Battle of the Nazisis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-08-2013, 18:08:07 »
Is the Frostbite 2 engine capable to simulate that?
Steam-name: Sinko-Zimo