Author Topic: Snipers, bullet effect and MGs on tanks  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
Snipers, bullet effect and MGs on tanks
« on: 18-09-2009, 03:09:26 »
i have three question/suggestions

1)i have noticed on a few tanks and guns (Sherman and cromwell) that when you fire the MG(right mouse buttom) the bullet effect is green,why is that?

2) while aiming with a sniper rifle you can see outside the circle, you shoudnt since one eye is closed and the other is on the rifle.

3) and what about MGs on top of tanks, why theres none? or the tanks in normandy didnt used?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Snipers, bullet effect and MGs on tanks
« Reply #1 on: 18-09-2009, 03:09:56 »
1) Because some nations used green tracers. It's a question of the used chemicals that are burned up.

2) No you don't press your eye on the scope, because that would take out your eye through recoil. You close one eye and keep the other one a bit away from the scope.

edit: as in here:

3) AFAIK they weren't that commonly used. Mostly they were given to armoured infantry that supported the tank.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-09-2009, 06:09:34 »
Ts4EVER is correct on #1 and #2.
For #3, we have a few tanks with MGs ontop. The M8 Greyhound having the best one. We also have the M10 and M3/M5 stuart with turret mounted MGs. I might be adding some more in the future, however we're somewhat limited in what we can do. Despite what was in BF1942, the MG gunners didn't sit in the turret hatch.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-09-2009, 07:09:35 »
I hate it when people suggest something without familiarizing themselves with the matter. Seems to happen very often now. First you should familiarize yourself very well with the matter then suggest if you have an idea how to fix an issue.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-09-2009, 09:09:20 »
With the interior of any tank already cramped and filled to the max, there is not, nor there ever was room for an extra "roof gunner". So while the pintle-mounted MG is manned, someone - commander, gunner, loader, radioman - is not doing his job. In any case, on those rare tanks where it was installed, the roof MG was used mostly for AA purposes. Of course, it could be used against infantry, but would you really get halfway out of the tank to expose yourself to small arms fire, if not absolutely necessary? (Staring into the guns of a Typhoon or FW 190 armed with a light machine gun could be said to be equally self-destructive...) Some modern tanks have remote control for the roof machine guns to make this practical but such luxuries were certainly not available in WW2. So it made sense to more or less permanently "loan" the gun to supporting infantry.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-09-2009, 12:09:45 »
The StuG40G has a remote control for the turret in this version.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #6 on: 18-09-2009, 13:09:04 »

yeah i realised that the other day - but I'd got into the stugs artillery spotter position thinking it was an mg then was hitting fire - fire - fire - yeah noobs take that - fire! - fire!

then I saw "ffs someone kick him for spamming, he's gone mad or is ctd'ing"
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-09-2009, 16:09:15 »

Yep, so did the Hetzer....

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-09-2009, 17:09:46 »
1) Because some nations used green tracers. It's a question of the used chemicals that are burned up.

2) No you don't press your eye on the scope, because that would take out your eye through recoil. You close one eye and keep the other one a bit away from the scope.

edit: as in here:

3) AFAIK they weren't that commonly used. Mostly they were given to armoured infantry that supported the tank.

ah gotcha

I hate it when people suggest something without familiarizing themselves with the matter. Seems to happen very often now. First you should familiarize yourself very well with the matter then suggest if you have an idea how to fix an issue.

and thats why i said question/suggestion, cause i wasnt sure i was right, what a unnecessary post, if you have nothing good to post just dont post

Offline Rustysteel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:46 »
Is the green tracer accurate?

I know that the russians use green tracer rounds now and NATO countries use red ones but does anyone know what was being used in WW2? I've always assumed that it was a similar setup with american & european countries using red ones and the russians using green ones but I don't know for sure. All the tanks seem to fire the green tracer round in FH2 the only machine gun I can think of that doesn't is the .50 cal.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:06 »
German tracers are yellow I think.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:16 »
American - Red
British - Green
Russian - Green
German - Yellow

France - Rainbow

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:33 »
I can believe they used the tracers on tanks, but how realistic are they on infantry machine guns. Isn't revealing your position by your tracers a stupid idea? I know for sure that I would have an easier life in FH, if the enemy players couldn't spot my tracers!

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #13 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:11 »
Well, the only handheld gun with tracers would be the MG42.  I presume this it to provive the enemy with some chance to survive.  Personally, I don't like this exception to the rule, but you can't have everything.

American - Red
British - Green
Russian - Green
German - Yellow
France - White

/joke

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-09-2009, 18:09:38 »
IIRC the Japanese used some purple tracers or so. And I remember reading about blue tracers used by the French.

And Flippy, rainbow tracers would be seriously awesome.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame