Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 306093 times)

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #4230 on: 02-10-2013, 17:10:32 »
...And again, you use these words like norms and values as if you assume that there is some objective "American" way of life, set in stone for all ages and situations, to be never changed or questioned. And that is just a fantasy, that is not how cultures work. Civilisations and societies are in a constant state of flux, they don't exist in a vacuum, they influence each other and some elements are discarded if they outlive their usefulness.
To be honest, it's rather hard to define the cultural values and norms of the country in which you reside as it just seems like common and everyday practice. I guess, you could begin by basing it upon the fact that the U.S. started with a basis in the Judo-Christian faith and with several core principles such as "efficiency and dispatch require that the government operate according to the will of the majority, but constitutional provisions must be made to protect the rights of the minority," just for a small example. If I spent more time, I could probably elaborate more on this, which I might later.

Some posters earlier cited the Austro-Hungarian Empire as an example of failed multi-culturalism. In my view that is complete bollocks. That empire didn't fail because of its many cultures (at least not primarily), but because of a lack of change and adaptation. The Austrian ruling classes had one vision of their Austria, that of a monarchy dominated by German-Austrians, ruling over a multitude of people. When nationalism developed, that vision was no longer viable and so it was replaced by a different Austria. Of course it took two World Wars and some rolling heads to get there, which leaves you wondering if the same could not have been achieved with a bit more self awareness.
On some aspects, it's important for a culture to "progress" and "adapt", but how far? How far until that country is only the same country by name? It retains none of its founding principles or beliefs, to the point where it changed entirely... it is no longer the same country. It has been effectively dissolved, despite potentially having the same name.

@ CPS, those articles, as interpreted by me at least, address mainly the fact that English was not the sole language amongst a good portion of the US population. I have no problem with this. If you want to embrace your heritage and native tongue in your home or amongst friends of the same culture - by all means go for it . This is assuming you're not breaking any laws or infringing anyone else's rights; Including their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. However, we should not have to accommodate for them in order for them to be "comfortable" living their daily lives/routines. This includes making almost every label or pamphlet in English and Spanish. Although ~12% is a high number, I suspect it's actually higher if businesses feel the need to include bilingual labels in order to sell product.

If someone were to bring Sharia Law to the States, and demand the right to practice their culture under the First Amendment, that's where we would have a problem. That's clear mutation and perversion of US culture and the legal system. Don't get me wrong, it's not Islam alone which I have a problem with.

P.S. Also, as Ts4EVER mentioned previously about education... public education is free in the United States and can't be denied to anyone, including illegal immigrants. There are even school, which teach all their classes in Spanish... too far? Not to mention, Affirmative Action is also the reason a lot of those low-wage jobs are filled by illegal immigrants, instead of school-aged kids or struggling college students who will take anything to get themselves on their feet.
« Last Edit: 02-10-2013, 18:10:41 by Oddball »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: 02-10-2013, 18:10:21 »
What you are describing are the values typically held by the white middle class, which means they are not representative of the USA, especially in this day and age. They are certainly one facet, but only one in an ocean of thousands. And let's say your neighbour disagrees with only one of them, does that make him less of an American? If you think this through, you always arrive at totalitarianism at the end.
Now of course there could be nutjobs trying to instate Sharia law or what have you, but unless they are able to amass enough political influence to actually do that in a democratic system, there is no reason to do anything but laugh at them and make sure they dont blow up anything important. And if there is indeed a majority who supports such views, democracy is doomed anyway, because it cannot function if a majority of people don't support it, as seen in the Weimar Republic.

On some aspects, it's important for a culture to "progress" and "adapt", but how far? How far until that country is only the same country by name? It retains none of its founding principles or beliefs, to the point where it changed entirely... it is no longer the same country. It has been effectively dissolved, despite potentially having the same name.

I guess. So what? Who gives a damn? So far no country has survived forever in the same state. Now I realize that many Americans see some kind of mystical specialness in their nation, but to me that is sheer idiocy. One might as well believe in god or santa clause, it is not real.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: 02-10-2013, 19:10:50 »
Some posters earlier cited the Austro-Hungarian Empire as an example of failed multi-culturalism. In my view that is complete bollocks. That empire didn't fail because of its many cultures (at least not primarily), but because of a lack of change and adaptation. The Austrian ruling classes had one vision of their Austria, that of a monarchy dominated by German-Austrians, ruling over a multitude of people. When nationalism developed, that vision was no longer viable and so it was replaced by a different Austria. Of course it took two World Wars and some rolling heads to get there, which leaves you wondering if the same could not have been achieved with a bit more self awareness.

I believe practicing incest and selling patent medicines was part of US culture back then? Binge smoking was also the trend back in 1960s. Why don't people wear wigs anymore like George Washington did? And OMG, why do people nowadays take bath so often? Why do they follow the British fashion? Why don't they wear 7/8 pants nowadays as formal dress?

So are you suggesting that cultural progress should only be dictated by WASP (the kinds of people that supposedly found the USA)?

If someone were to bring Sharia Law to the States, and demand the right to practice their culture under the First Amendment, that's where we would have a problem. That's clear mutation and perversion of US culture and the legal system. Don't get me wrong, it's not Islam alone which I have a problem with.
Now of course there could be nutjobs trying to instate Sharia law or what have you, but unless they are able to amass enough political influence to actually do that in a democratic system, there is no reason to do anything but laugh at them and make sure they dont blow up anything important. And if there is indeed a majority who supports such views, democracy is doomed anyway, because it cannot function if a majority of people don't support it, as seen in the Weimar Republic.

Right, where is the boundaries? People should be able to practice what they believe in. But when they started to disturb other people's freedom, how do you call it?

Let's say, the nutjobs doesn't have a political will. He is just staying in a wealthy country, so they can get all the benefits and high-paying jobs. But on everyday basis, he will yell on your woman (mostly highschool girls), shouting despicable misogynistic remarks because their clothing aren't up to their standards of decency.

In Australia, they say it is a "cultural clash," but it is too far and politically incorrect. There are many attempts to integrate with their society. Including not avoiding social interaction with them. But one day, two schoolgirls got a friendly conversations with a bunch of their boys in a train on their way back home. It escalated into a gang-rape case. The girls were asked to join a friendly chit-chat in a nearby cafe, they happily comply. But instead, they were brought into some obscure alley, and got raped by a bunch of boys from various age (some are younger). Each of them subdued the girl, while throwing insults specifically aiming at that "cultural clash" thing, because a standard Australian highschool girls uniform is slutty according to them.

Do you think:
A) It is fair for the rape victim of a cultural experimentation to have their case dismissed, because we are trying to achieve greater goal of integration?
B) It is an equal payback for the rapists, because they were often portrayed negatively by the society, thus this is just one of their act to vent it out?

BTW, this is a real event, and the newspaper that published the article didn't even bother to censure the insults thrown at the girls based on their testimony as victims to the police.

I have to say, there is a lack of respect here. The immigrants are facing cultural shock during their adaptation effort, which could only ended in either admire or despise the host culture. Some people might say, yes, one culture is "Superior" to others, because they can accommodate a lot, while the others simply doesn't.

The very obvious example is British motoring show "Top Gear," which produces a lot of controversies. The main host, Jeremy Clarkson is notorious for making politically incorrect remarks, which is also the source of many running gags and jokes that highlights the show. His antiques including bringing Britain's historical conflicts with France and Germany, whenever both countries come into the subject. He and the other hosts also relies on cultural stereotypes as joke material.

This was not a serious issue in many culturally open countries. But when they hit India, Mexico, Malaysia, things escalated quickly. Now, how can you create equal grounds if they demand special treatment as a subject of mockery? He said Americans are fat, incest-prone, gives you friendly fire, US cars are rubbish, etc, yet no Americans cried wolf. But when he said India has a toilet problem, Mexicans are lazy and flatulent, Malaysians can't make cars because they live in jungle with no roads, it becomes a diplomatic incident. Keep in mind, that he also admitted that he is "quite idiotic." Now this begs begs the question: why anyone takes the guy seriously unless you fail to understand either British English or his cheap humor sense?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: 02-10-2013, 23:10:45 »
Dutch Culture: Wooden clogs, Windmills, Tullips, weedsmoking and being loud-mouthed in general. These traditions are going strong for about 400 years now, try to break that with your nihilistic views TS4ever ;-)

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: 03-10-2013, 01:10:19 »

How can you sit back and laugh at a women who was stoned to death because her "choice of attire provoked some pervert to rape her." How can you sit back and laugh at someone who lost their hand over accused robbery. How can you sit back and laugh at a girl, who had acid thrown in her face, legally pardon the aggressor because she fears for her family's safety. Now, I don't condone vigilante justice, but just hearing about some of these cases makes me want to seek vigilante justice for those at the mercy, or lack-therefore-of, of Sharia Law.

Therefore, are you saying it's okay if only a few people engage in this conduct, as long as it doesn't become wide-spread. I know ethics and morals vary around the globe, but isn't there something inherently wrong with the mistreatment and unfair treatment of select races/genders, etc (another founding principle of the US)?

I guess. So what? Who gives a damn? So far no country has survived forever in the same state. Now I realize that many Americans see some kind of mystical specialness in their nation, but to me that is sheer idiocy. One might as well believe in god or santa clause, it is not real.

I think the "American Mystical Specialness" you're referring to is the common idea that America is the last best hope for freedom and Democracy. A rather noble idea. There is nothing "idiotic" about believing in the basic morals and principles included in the foundation of the United States, such as "innocent until proven guilty" or "all men are created equal" for example.

@ Zoologic, no... I'm not necessarily saying that all changes which occur in the United States should evolve around White Anglo-Saxon Protestant beliefs, but rather the beliefs found within the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, ect. A lot of the changes you mention (in fashion and hygiene in particular) change do to advances in technology and practicality... they have minimal to no effect of the actions or beliefs of the American people. 
« Last Edit: 03-10-2013, 01:10:57 by Oddball »

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: 03-10-2013, 01:10:06 »
In Belgian news: Toyshop is being called sexist for publishing this:
(folder Bart Smit Foto: rr)
It doesn't contain boys doing this stuff, so it's sexist... aaah, those feminists  ::)
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: 04-10-2013, 10:10:56 »
Aaah, casual misogyny.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #4237 on: 04-10-2013, 11:10:36 »
I think this was sparked by GeenStijl who published these things a week or so ago and called them anti-feminist propaganda. Jokingly of course. Seems some people take it serious.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: 04-10-2013, 12:10:04 »
People are so easily offended these days it's just not even funny anymore.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: 04-10-2013, 14:10:47 »
Aaah, casual misogyny.

Misogyny huh.

So is this misandry? Why should soldiers only be men? Dont they have rights? Why do boys have to have this standard and values of a warrior?

Or what about this? Doesnt this put men into stereotypes that they cannot overcome? I will be never able to jump from a plane, drive a boat or climb mountains like this guy. Heck some people will never even get close to his physique. So why put poor little boys through the pain that will be inflicted upon them once they realize they cannot be Actionman or any hero at all?

These things are games. Kids pretend to be and want to be what their parents are like because they are the first examples they have. If you think this is wrong for your kid dont fucking buy it and if you think that everyone should think like you, go fuck yourself.

Last part not directed to thorondor. And yes people are so easy to jump to conclusions and hate at things that it is not funny at all.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: 04-10-2013, 16:10:29 »
It doesn't contain boys doing this stuff, so it's sexist... aaah, those feminists  ::)
The worst part is the text in the centre "To be as good as mommy, that's what you want!". Like mommy's greatest achievement is cleaning the fucking house.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: 04-10-2013, 16:10:54 »
And make you a goddamn sandwich.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: 04-10-2013, 17:10:43 »
If I was into misquoting Shakespeare, I might throw a "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" at someone. Luckily that is not on of my weaknesses.
The worst part is the text in the centre "To be as good as mommy, that's what you want!". Like mommy's greatest achievement is cleaning the fucking house.
Hear Hear.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: 04-10-2013, 17:10:39 »

One of many great achievements of Mommy.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: 04-10-2013, 18:10:34 »
Bouras:

And yes, it is okay to see men getting killed and brutalized. Then playing cooks is just for girls, despite many famous chefs are men (Gordon Ramsey, Anthony Bourdain, and just look at this wikipedia list). To be honest, I am much more thankful of my Mom doing that instead of my father, which is worse. I did all the supposedly female activities when I live alone as I don't like "man-cave" or sort of.

Does it mean that I am feminine for maintaining cleanliness? Or simply better than female, since I do all stuff, including what was perceived to be theirs (cooking, cleaning, housekeeping)? Why all the fuss?

It is the kind of gender bias and all attempts at political correctness that irks me.

I mean it is pretty much alright to poke fun that men are smelly and ignorant, and it is not okay to say that women are talkative and irrational. What? But there is even widely believed bullshit about women can't read maps and men don't multitask, which are okay to be made fun of.

Really? We have numerous woman pilots that read maps better than 50% of my male friends. And plus, most fighter pilots that work alone, they pretty much do a lot of things at once fly the plane, communicate, find target, and plan ahead. It's pretty much multitasking, and we have Erich Hartmann topping the score of being that. However, the notion that there is bullshit offense that is tolerable and there is some that is intolerable is kinda bias and more about group preference.

See this opinion piece on "Women and children"

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/10/lie-women-syria-children-2013101123348332850.html

Mind you, it is written by self-proclaimed feminist, and here is what she has to say:

Patriarchal gender distinctions are often invoked to supposedly protect one's nation - but this form of nationalist rhetoric in fact seeks to discipline and punish.  If the use of chemical warfare is inhumane, it is inhumane for each and every human body, not just for women and children. Age and gender need not be specified.  Yet the patriarchal, nationalist narrative insists on distinguishing women and children from the rest.

My next question is: Why is it worse to gas "womenandchildren" than men? If the use of chemical weapons violates the notion of a "common humanity", as Obama says, why single out a particular part of humanity for special protection?

See? Even a feminist can agree.

Why the double standard? Is it okay to gas men, a father and a husband?

Do you think women are weak, that losing a fight to one is like a humiliation for an alpha male? Then I'll need to meet you up to my Judo instructor or any professional female MMA fighters. I am sure, while some say they might not be as good as their male counterpart, they'll pretty much kick the rest of the male population' ass with relative ease.