Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 307105 times)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #855 on: 21-06-2012, 19:06:07 »
Are chemical names different per language?  For instance, Hydrochloric acid.  Or the periodic table of elements. Is Hydrogen for me different for somebody in German?

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: 21-06-2012, 19:06:30 »
IIRC The only difference is the non-scientific English name for certain elements which is different from its symbol. E.g. Gold for Aurum, Silver for Argentum, Iron for Ferrum, Potassium (although we sometimes also use this one) for Kalium, Mercury for Hydrargyrum.

I also notice that English call Fluor, the element as Fluorine.

For easier reference, just click "Languages" selection of a Wikipedia page on the left hand side of any article page. For example this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluori
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluor

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 21-06-2012, 22:06:48 »
its all purely hypothetical im just wondering  ;D
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 22-06-2012, 08:06:34 »
IIRC The only difference is the non-scientific English name for certain elements which is different from its symbol. E.g. Gold for Aurum, Silver for Argentum, Iron for Ferrum, Potassium (although we sometimes also use this one) for Kalium, Mercury for Hydrargyrum.

I also notice that English call Fluor, the element as Fluorine.

For easier reference, just click "Languages" selection of a Wikipedia page on the left hand side of any article page. For example this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluori
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluor

Eh, you forgot Tungsten (W) [Wolfram]

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 22-06-2012, 11:06:13 »
IIRC The only difference is the non-scientific English name for certain elements which is different from its symbol. E.g. Gold for Aurum, Silver for Argentum, Iron for Ferrum, Potassium (although we sometimes also use this one) for Kalium, Mercury for Hydrargyrum...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not so much "non-scientific" as it is modern terminology.

Who still refers to these elements by their Latin names?

Bit of WW2 news:
More than 30 Australian Bomber Command veterans will gather in Sydney on Friday before departing for London on Sunday to witness the unveiling of a new memorial by the Queen on June 28...

...Bomber crews had little prospect of surviving a tour of 30 to 35 operations and by 1943 just one in six was expected to survive their first tour of duty.

One who lived through an incredible 33 missions over France and Germany unscathed was Arthur Loudon.

Mr Loudon, originally from Goulburn in NSW, was a 21-year-old Flight Sergeant and a navigator on board a Lancaster bomber between 1944 and 1945.

He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal for his efforts with 12 Squadron.

"I got that medal for putting up with six Pommies for a year," the 90-year-old said.

- http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/honouring-our-brave-australian-bomber-command/story-e6freuzr-1226403574163

;D

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 22-06-2012, 11:06:22 »
Yeah, but that would be the source of difference between languages.

Tankbuster:
We also refer W as Tungsten in Indonesian.

Others like Tin (Sn) and Copper (Cu) are usually discovered and named before Latin naming convention take place.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 22-06-2012, 11:06:56 »
Are chemical names different per language?  For instance, Hydrochloric acid.  Or the periodic table of elements. Is Hydrogen for me different for somebody in German?
Yes they are different. For example, Hydrochloric acid in German is Salzsäure and Hydrogen is Wasserstoff. Salzsäure is of course the trivial name, but the systematic name Chlorwasserstoffsäure is also clearly different. Elements whose latin names are used in English are mostly the same, but not always. Elements whose non-latin names are used are almost always different.

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 22-06-2012, 13:06:11 »
Jaegerbombs or vodka & redbull! dicuss! ;)

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 22-06-2012, 13:06:04 »
Hydrogen is Wasserstoff.
Hydrogen = Vety, GET IT RIGHT!
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 22-06-2012, 16:06:37 »
Hydrogen is Hidrogen... we are very uncreative  ;D

Hydrochloric Acid is Asam Klorida... with asam = acid, Klorida refers to Chlor, the Cl ion.
Hydrofluoric acid, which is also an acid, is simply called Asam Fluorida. We usually do not incorporate the "Hydrogen" name in any acidic Hydrogen bond compound.

Well, Zeno, I never dared to drink caffeine after consuming large amount of ethanol. I could drink 8 pints of beer in a night, but don't want to try any kind of bombs... I'll chicken out for that.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 22-06-2012, 16:06:33 »

Hydrofluoric acid, which is also an acid,

It is a poor joke of an acid

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 22-06-2012, 17:06:42 »
Jaegerbombs or vodka & redbull! dicuss! ;)
Jägerbomb I assume means that the shot is mixed into the energy drink by the bartender, and not "dropped" as in the traditional "U-Boot" or "depth charge" drink (which is a stupid and bothersome custom anyway)? Because in some places, it means one or the other.

Once you go Jäger, you taste nothing else for the next couple of days. The stuff is extremely sticky, toothbrushing and rinsing the mouth don't help at all. Been there, done that, and energy drink late in the night means a terrible night followed by even worse headache and tiredness that would follow from normal hangover. Even gin & tonic or gin & grapefruit juice long drink are more merciful (though anything gin-based causes a hangover like no other, except red wine).

To answer your question, if I would have to choose between the two, then vodka & energy drink mixed, but I'd prefer neither.

Biiviz

« Reply #867 on: 22-06-2012, 17:06:29 »
Beer. Always beer. I never buy shots at bars anymore, after learning the hard way that spending 150+ euros in a night leads to economic shitfuck. Usually I just drink beer when partying and of course vodka shots and wines at dinners. The occasional whisky goes down with ease when friends are at my place or when relaxing after work/school.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 22-06-2012, 18:06:05 »
i essentially only have vodka, because since drinking age is 21 here in the states ::) and vodka is easier to hide at parties than large stacks of beer. also the only beer i can afford is shitty beer.  so whisky is my favourite to have generally.
« Last Edit: 24-06-2012, 00:06:37 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 22-06-2012, 18:06:19 »
Redbull in the fridge, Jäger in the cupboard, vodka on the table.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!