Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 305340 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #165 on: 23-03-2012, 11:03:39 »
Is it still recoverable if you save some other stuff over it?

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 23-03-2012, 11:03:53 »
The rumour is that apparently they can, you need to over write it at least 3 times. But that is only with that super duper secret government software.

But this makes your hard drive safe
http://www.truecrypt.org/

No need to erase, they can't get to it without the key, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: 23-03-2012, 11:03:26 by siben »

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 23-03-2012, 16:03:15 »
The rumour is that apparently they can, you need to over write it at least 3 times. But that is only with that super duper secret government software.

But this makes your hard drive safe
http://www.truecrypt.org/

No need to erase, they can't get to it without the key, plain and simple.

...and then they simply get a court order demanding your key.

Or a 5 dollar wrench.

But that's assuming somebody actually wants your data. I dont think anyone wants folders and folders of internet pictures and a handful of my essays from school.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 23-03-2012, 16:03:25 »
Aah, yes, but you put hidden encrypted file in an encrypted hard drive, that's like 2 layers deep, just give them your password then. data still safe.

Or a hammer, screwdriver and strong magnet do the trick perfectly. Add some fire for show as well.

Offline Tolga<3

• (No longer) terrorizing terrorists. :<
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 23-03-2012, 16:03:47 »
I can't resist to add my story on jehovas witnesses:

When I was as boy, they came to our door occasionally. My mom was a patient housewife, but got rid of them someday.

About 10 years later my mom died, and, guess what, I had them on my door again. 3 visits within 2 month.

The last time they came it was about 11 o' clock in the morning: Some dad bringing his 5 year old son. That made me totally freak out. I told him that the boy would belong into the kindergarden/school, instead of listening to his dad discussing religion with strangers. I pointed out that I see why they are suddenly coming for me after 10 years of silence on our doorstep, and that they should be ashamed of that approach to catch me in the moment of a familiar tragedy.

That was the first time I saw some jehova witness almost lose temper. But after that, they never came again.

Nowadays a fellow worker of mine is a jehova witness and I bite my tongue every time she mentions religion.

My buddy became one to dodge his conscription draft \o/

Only came across them in NY, they'd come to the door at around 10 am once or twice a month, wanted to kill the biches with their own pamphlets.
Epilepsy is bad.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 23-03-2012, 16:03:37 »
...and then they simply get a court order demanding your key.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but a friend who happens to be an IT-guy told me that some types of HD-encrypting software allows you to set an alternative password, which, when you enter it, won't give access to the real, encrypted data on your HD, but to an alternative section/partition that you may set up.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 23-03-2012, 16:03:11 »
Your copy of Windows 7 is already equipped with encryption tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/bitlocker

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 23-03-2012, 17:03:31 »
From what I've read, with modern HDD's (let's say >100 GB) the data density is so high that overwriting once should be enough. Apparently, back when the disk of same size only held 100 MB, this was easier. Recovery after physical damage (fire etc.) is also becoming more difficult due to this.

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 23-03-2012, 17:03:42 »
Aah, yes, but you put hidden encrypted file in an encrypted hard drive, that's like 2 layers deep, just give them your password then. data still safe.

Or a hammer, screwdriver and strong magnet do the trick perfectly. Add some fire for show as well.

I always firgured the best bet would be to mix up some thermite, set it in a flower pot in the bay above the HD, put the pot base beneath the HD to catch the melted remnants, and rig up a magnesium ignition device. Instant liquid hard drive!

I'm not an expert on this matter, but a friend who happens to be an IT-guy told me that some types of HD-encrypting software allows you to set an alternative password, which, when you enter it, won't give access to the real, encrypted data on your HD, but to an alternative section/partition that you may set up.

I've seen a lot of discussions about the multiple layer approach and programs that hide encrypted partitions/files. The way I understand it, If there's an encrypted file, they'll demand the key, if they find evidence of a missing/inaccessible file or partition, they'll demand that key too.

So the only way to pull this off would be to trick any partition/disk analyzer they use into thinking an area of the HD is blank, and then covering any digital tracks within the computer referencing this area. For instance, you cant tell the OS not to write files to specific sectors of the HD, cause this is a giveaway. Having a 3 GB encrypted file, then opening it to show 2 GB will also point to an alternate encrypted file.

"I forgot the password" wont really work either: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/02/laptop-decryption-appeal-rejected/

From what I've read, with modern HDD's (let's say >100 GB) the data density is so high that overwriting once should be enough. Apparently, back when the disk of same size only held 100 MB, this was easier. Recovery after physical damage (fire etc.) is also becoming more difficult due to this.

Ah this is interesting. I've always heard it took at least a few wipes, plus extra for government type stuff. But then, many military computers are using what we would consider very outdated hardware, so I wouldnt be surprised if some disks were still in the 100 MB range.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 24-03-2012, 01:03:57 »
I got my wisdom teeth out today, interesting day.
About year ago, I got my both left side wisdom teeth out at same time. Upper wisom teeth was under noraml teeth, so that was taken out too  :-X

They want to take mine out for like 20 years now, but I refuse. As long as I don't have them causing any pain, I keep them. Mankind survived for millions of years without them being taken out, but I can't keep em nowadays?

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 24-03-2012, 14:03:16 »
So, I just bought myself Nicki Minaj tickets in a crazy impulse.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 24-03-2012, 14:03:45 »
Who's that?
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 24-03-2012, 15:03:43 »
This woman:
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 24-03-2012, 16:03:22 »
A Harddrives read-write heads can get slightly misaligned over some time of using it. This means that they don´t move over the center of the area used to store the individual bits anymore. So if you overwrite your old data, the areas won´t be completely re-magnetized anymore, but the hardrives head that rewrote them will not notice this, because it will move over the remagnetized parts and not notice that half the area of the bit is still having the previous alignment.
The point here is that sophisticated Data recovery engineers can open your hard drive and read the plates with a laser and so reconstruct the old data that the intact harddrive didnt reach anymore.
So the only sure way is physical destruction of the drive.

About the encryption. Don´t trust Bitlocker :) I´m sure the Microsoft software has a backdoor or factory default key to comply with american law. The FBI, CIA and Homeland Defense will be able to read them pretty sure.
Using Truecrypt on the other hand is much more safe. You can be sure they don´t have Backdoors in their Software because it´s open source and everyone can take a look at the source code and could find those.
They also support hidden volumes that you can not detect without knowing the password. http://www.truecrypt.org/hiddenvolume
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 24-03-2012, 16:03:22 »
Interesting first paragraph Mayhemic, thanks.

Also, Nicki aint that bad guys, I kinda like her. I am looking forward to it. Stupid me missed the chance to buy tickets for Rihanna a few months back so I had some extra cash around. Now I just have to find a girl that wants to join me.

I am weird, did I tell you guys?