Author Topic: German Telekom: 75GB max. traffic  (Read 1304 times)

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
German Telekom: 75GB max. traffic
« on: 24-04-2013, 11:04:37 »
Hello everyone,

this topic most likely only concerns German Telekom clients but feel free to respond even if you are not the latter.
Here is the problem: The German Telekom announced to set the maximum traffic to 75GB per month. After that, your internet gets really slow.
Now I don't know how much we use monthly and don't know how to get that information. If anyone knows, I would appreciate any help.

That said, I don't really know if 75GB per month are enough for a big family with pretty much everyone using the internet daily. My sisters always hang around youtube and chat with their friends, my father uses his internet for work (heavy uploads and downloads from time to time but he is not always at home) plus dropbox and online radio in HQ. My mother is the only one who uses it pretty rarely. She looks up the weather and such but the phone is mostly a gimmick.
I personally use Skype and Youtube very often and play online games on regular basis (not as often as I use Skype). Now of course you don't know the details but I think this could reach the 75GB pretty fast. That leads to the question if Telekom really has some trouble delivering the internet or if they just want to improve their income.

Maybe you could post how much traffic you estimatively have for comparison. I feel strange about this maximum.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: German Telekom: 75GB max. traffic
« Reply #1 on: 24-04-2013, 11:04:30 »
Damn, I thought only australians are in such poor situation to have limited downloads  :-X.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-04-2013, 11:04:54 »
Hard times are coming: Instead of food stamps we now have internet stamps :P

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:50 »
Just google for one of these network meter gadgets that you can drop on to the desktop, I used one for few years. I believe I landed somewhere  around 30-40 gigabytes per month on my own.
CMP Gaming

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:47 »
I have 20GB/month (university network) and i never saw my download limit go under 95%. Not saying i only use 5% of that in a month, since i get 3.33% back every day. So i'd say i use 3-4% of 20GB a day. (in weekends, i'm home with my parents and it gets restored to 100%). I do watch a few youtube videos per day and play online from time to time. And if i want to see a youtube video from over 1 hour, i just go to the library and downlaod it there since i don't have a restriction there, but even videos that take about on hour are only about 250MB if u download them in 360p MP4.

hope it can help
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:19 »
Back in Sydney, Australia, my provider is TPG, we subscribed to $35 no limit 70 GB quota cap per month. This was in 2008. This cap is divided between 40GB peak and 30GB off-peak. Peak is usage during "peak" hours, or from 7AM (morning) to 1PM (night), and off-peak is during 1PM to 7AM.

If you are an avid downloader (music, movies) and opens youtube casually, I'd say 70GB is decent enough for a home of 2 heavy internet users (downloads, play online games, watch movies, streams, share videos/files, + other activities) + 2 regular/casual internet users (browse, chat, check e-mails, watch YouTube, share pictures, sometimes streams) + 1 occasional internet user (browse, check e-mail).

I spent about 60 MBs per day on non-Youtube browsing on average day, or 120 MB with Youtube, mostly charging to the peak quota. With downloading activities, the consumption will jump to 600 MB figures on the peak and almost 1 GB on off-peak quota (since you left your computer running while you are asleep). The speed is tempting there, you keep opening tabs after tabs without discretion, just because it loads quickly. Keep in mind, that the quota charges both upload and download traffic.

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
« Reply #6 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:10 »
Holy crap that's aweful.
I guess most routers logs the amount of data you're transfering/downloading per day. 75GB aint nothing for family usage.

Damn crooks!

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #7 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:07 »
Oh thats bad .. I use around 300-350 gb per month on data, mainly due to streaming music and my dropbox syncs which keep my photo libraries synced over 3 computers. Id go on a rampage if someone would cut that ..

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:37 »
Is that for the whole net or only telekom customers?

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:43 »
Thank you for all your answers so far. I guess when they make it real, we will have to consider changing the provider. Of course, the other providers are likely to do the same at that point. It's a bit like like the gas prices: I don't think that there is real competition.

@hslan.Corvax: You need 300-350gb as a single person or with a family?
@Ts4EVER: Only Telekom so far.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:16 »
I believe dropbox to be the biggest source of traffic. Many people started using it, and it eats up a lot of bandwidth. Since people back up a lot of things. I mostly store backups on personal portable HDD, which costs around $60 to $80 at best for 500 GB and 1 TB.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:10 »
Is that for the whole net or only telekom customers?

For new telekom customers in Germany from (planned) 2016 on, as the telekom says, they are lacking the infrastructure for such a limit at the moment, although a lot of very rural areas in germany lack DSL-connections as well  ::). As a lot of other companies are depending on telekom infrastructure in germany it is rumored that other companies plan such a limit as well. This download limit also excludes telekom services, such as Video on demand or telephone services (VOIP).

I see this as a violation on Net neutrality. As other european countries already have laws, which prohibit such a download limit set by telephone companies, I am somehow sure that this wont turn out as bad as some people say. So either the limit will be set as high, that you can barely reach it or - even better - new laws (even some european) will stop such plans. 

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-04-2013, 12:04:14 »
Doesn't the telekom get tons of tax payer money blown up its ass to improve infrastructure?

Offline Eglaerinion

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-04-2013, 13:04:52 »
On average I pull double that number of usenet alone.
"The wolves will come again."

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #14 on: 24-04-2013, 13:04:00 »

I see this as a violation on Net neutrality. As other european countries already have laws, which prohibit such a download limit set by telephone companies, I am somehow sure that this wont turn out as bad as some people say. So either the limit will be set as high, that you can barely reach it or - even better - new laws (even some european) will stop such plans.

Puff, some source? In Finland it's already on for Sonera mobile users for a while. And that's only few Gbs per month, like 2 or so.
CMP Gaming