Author Topic: Headtracking allowed?  (Read 780 times)

Offline HuntingHedgehog

• View Profile
Headtracking allowed?
« on: 15-05-2021, 03:05:08 »
Hello,
as a flight simmer I would like to use my headtracking setup in FH2 planes too. It works as follows:
I got a camera sitting on my monitor which tracks three LEDs that are mounted to my headset. My head movements are tracked via a software called opentrack and then translated to mouse movements.
Would that be fine or could someone get banned for that?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Headtracking allowed?
« Reply #1 on: 15-05-2021, 05:05:37 »
I will ask in the admin discord to see what they think. I don't know enough about flying to know if this is some kind of massive advantage tbh.

Offline HuntingHedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-05-2021, 15:05:55 »
Thanks!
It IS an advantage to the default setup there is no denying that, you probably could get an equally good experience by taking the mouse in the left hand and binding throttle to the weel and free look on some other mouse button.
Headtracking still requires me to press the free look button for it to work in Battlefield; that is up to Bf 5, there an option to decouple the aircraft controls from the free look controls was introduced which allows nearly natural use of headtracking as it is common in flight sims which is really great, makes the cockpit view viable at last.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-05-2021, 17:05:59 »
Consensus seems to be that it's fine, so knock yourself out.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-05-2021, 18:05:07 »
For what its worth, would be helluva interesting to see video footage of this in action.

Offline HuntingHedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-05-2021, 22:05:07 »
Nice, happy to hear and thanks again!

And to what it looks like in action there is at least one vid on youtube with Battlefield 5 and Track-IR 5, I myself use a DIY-solution because TrackIR pricing  is a bit absurd at well over 200€, I built mine for around 20€ and it is absolutly adequate.
I started playing DCS World last year and you really need some form of headtracking there but I didn't want to pay that much money. Found out that it is really not that difficult and went ahead with it, after some improvements I am very happy with my DIY setup :D

Up to Bf 4 the way how headtracking can be used is pretty rudimentary and limited, BF 5 is a whole new world but still has some theeting problems; for its full potential check out some footage of DCS, Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad or Falcon BMS.
« Last Edit: 15-05-2021, 22:05:36 by HuntingHedgehog »