Author Topic: HSLAN has went to hell....  (Read 6277 times)

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
Re: HSLAN has went to hell....
« Reply #15 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:07 »
No they start to ban you for killing cowards shooting enemy from the edge of their abc line :-\

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:08 »
well, specific "rules" are of course annoying, but I was talking more the overall service they run. Managing a server and upholding a playerbase is hard work, anyone with server experience knows this. So they're doing something right. If only they would shape up and terminate the fake awards and join the real ones, and stop making up /changing the rules of the mod, then they would be fantastic.

This is the exact problem games that offer dedicated servers have. You give away parts of the game to a 3rd party which you don't control. It changes experience and it always - always - becomes the servers goal 1st, and the game (mod)s goal 2nd.

Best would actually be if we didn't give out any server files, and we ourself controlled all the servers. Rules wouldn't need to exist as the design would speak for itself, but most importantly, players would get the exact same experience no matter what server they join.
Sadly we lack the money and manpower to pull that off.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:36 »

to be honest, the only problem I see with that server is lack of official ranking (which is a great base of informations about maps for devs for further balance improvements) that all.

EDIT: Good point Natty but I think that moderations should keep this thread clear of 762 discussion or even better - lock this thread as it is pointless ;)
« Last Edit: 10-06-2012, 22:06:30 by jan_kurator »

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:36 »
The split ranking is definetly what divides the community. Players on 762 didnt want to start from scratch like everyone else with the official rankings, wich from their pov was smart because they now how a dedicated base of players that have stats for far longer and rarely plays an official server), and those that prefer official rankings (like me) avoid 762. You'd think the non-762 people would just choose a different server than hslan, but really, what other server has active admins?? Also there's the psychological factor, a server needs a critical mass of about 25 players to get filled, and few want to join before that wich makes it hard to get it filled...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:47 »
and that's why keeping same statics for years doesn't have sense if you ask me. Firtsly, people feel very connected with their ranking position and few shiny awards on their profiles what splits this small community, secondly - there are true veterans playing this mod since the beginnig what make new players don't have any chances to get high in top players list even if they're very good. Would be nice to have new, fresh zeroed stats every release to have more fair competition every time ;)
« Last Edit: 10-06-2012, 22:06:20 by jan_kurator »

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:30 »
The split ranking is definetly what divides the community. Players on 762 didnt want to start from scratch like everyone else with the official rankings, wich from their pov was smart because they now how a dedicated base of players that have stats for far longer and rarely plays an official server), and those that prefer official rankings (like me) avoid 762. You'd think the non-762 people would just choose a different server than hslan, but really, what other server has active admins?? Also there's the psychological factor, a server needs a critical mass of about 25 players to get filled, and few want to join before that wich makes it hard to get it filled...

You know, when this rift started to begin I suggested to convert the old 762 points to the new ranking system for exactly this reason. Even if it cant be done perfectly, just giving the old 762 player base some kind of reward and then get rid of this whole alternate scoring system would have been soooo much better for the whole community.

Unfortunately, as so often, the community tends to see the detail problems (e.g. why the points cant be converted 1:1, etc, etc) rather than the big picture (a real rift to a anyways small community, which means that quite often I cant play a match on a weekday evening on a ranked (hslan) server) which is a real downturn.

I really encourage the community (especially the devs and 762) to sit down once again and sort this damn issue out.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-06-2012, 23:06:15 »
or you could just wait till late night and join WAW server and see how it is with a higher ping!!!!   Douches complaining about having full servers    ::)

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-06-2012, 23:06:36 »
The problem is that apart 762 and hslan there aren't any serious servers... By saying serious I mean:
- with good ping
- with active administrators
- with good maplist - I checked servers with good ping (less than 100) and there was usually 4-8 maps in rotation...  ::)

Offline Yoghurt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10-06-2012, 23:06:45 »

You know, when this rift started to begin I suggested to convert the old 762 points to the new ranking system for exactly this reason. Even if it cant be done perfectly, just giving the old 762 player base some kind of reward and then get rid of this whole alternate scoring system would have been soooo much better for the whole community.

Unfortunately, as so often, the community tends to see the detail problems (e.g. why the points cant be converted 1:1, etc, etc) rather than the big picture (a real rift to a anyways small community, which means that quite often I cant play a match on a weekday evening on a ranked (hslan) server) which is a real downturn.

I really encourage the community (especially the devs and 762) to sit down once again and sort this damn issue out.

Exactly what im thinking!

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-06-2012, 00:06:15 »
At first you were making some points, but then you made the critical error when you mentioned what was your favorite server and then all the points were gone...

Points do not matter thought.

Why is it an error to mention the own favorite server? This was not the point I was trying to clear. Same as somebody can have hslan as favorite server. And there are valid points for the different preferences. The 762 servers are my favorite servers, because I know the guys who I am playing with quiet well (met some of them in RL), I understand and I like the server administration (rules, kicking and banning of players who play against the rules). I for example like the rule of not allowing to attack uncaps because this offers better gameplay on the pushmaps and is very important for me. Someone who doesn't like this for example may have hslan as a prefered server or any other. But this is not the problem!

The problem I see - and I think you will understand this - is the fact that I for one join hslan, if my favorite server gets empty, because I like to play the game and don't whine here that I can't play the game anymore  ::). In this case hslan is my second favorite server and I simply join it. Ofcourse some points are annoying like people defending the Bridge instead of Germeter - but hell I have to accept it and play by the rules. What I don't get is, that people are whining about a problem that isn't really there - and this seems to be the possibility to play the game with official stats on decent servers. Instead they are whining on the forum that they can't play - what is simply wrong. FSFA offers almost if not the same performance as hslan - so join it and start playing. And you will have your awards and gimmicks. The WAW guys are doing an excelent job by offering the possibility to play and also with the official ranking - with a worse ping but the game is still fun as hell and the people are very nice and kindly. I hope you get it now. Or will all the people stop playing FH2, when hslan is no more some day? Just a therory, but I think, it's still a valid question.  ;)

On a last note: I for one won't stop playing FH2, because Neo82 (mastermind behind 762) might get tired someday to pay all the servers on his own and to work on the 762 ranking. I will join any other server, ofcurse with the lack of things that I like about 762, but I can still play the game. I hope more people would think like forgottenkevinhope.
« Last Edit: 11-06-2012, 01:06:44 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11-06-2012, 01:06:15 »
or you could just wait till late night and join WAW server and see how it is with a higher ping!!!!   Douches complaining about having full servers    ::)

A-fuckin-Men, you tell them Kev,

Ping hasn't mattered since the late 90's, you kids are spoiled by broadband and shit your training diapers when your FPS drops below 500.

Btw, I love the 762 vs. HSlan pissing match. Number 1 with a bullet is 762, so stop being nostalgic and actually play FH2 instead of inventing reasons for you all to go back to playing World of Tanks, BF3 or jerking off to Omegle.

edit:sp
« Last Edit: 11-06-2012, 02:06:55 by sheikyerbouti »
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:05 »
actually just out of respect for the devs who are doing such an incredible job and putting so much time and effort into this mod, I feel one should not play on 762

Maybe there is a way of crowd-financing an official server endorsed by the devs?
I certainly would be willing to put in a couple of € a month for this.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:07 »
 That defeats the point entirely...

If you care about support when did you last donate to WarumDarum for this forum? The best thing we can do is actually play, instead of fabricating reasons to not play whatsoever.

On the matter of 762, it's not as annoying as it once was (the rules are more relaxed nowadays) and the map rotation is pretty good. I don't really care about Stats but the blame lies on the Dev team for including the files in the .con for so long before they were actually "released".

This dispute would have never occurred if the Stats file wasn't so easily included and made available to be 'hacked'. (i use the term lightly because it is nearly impossible to get caught stealing from a mod, see Armyrage for example)
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-06-2012, 04:06:08 »
That defeats the point entirely...

If you care about support when did you last donate to WarumDarum for this forum? The best thing we can do is actually play, instead of fabricating reasons to not play whatsoever.

On the matter of 762, it's not as annoying as it once was (the rules are more relaxed nowadays) and the map rotation is pretty good. I don't really care about Stats but the blame lies on the Dev team for including the files in the .con for so long before they were actually "released".

This dispute would have never occurred if the Stats file wasn't so easily included and made available to be 'hacked'. (i use the term lightly because it is nearly impossible to get caught stealing from a mod, see Armyrage for example)

Once more: the Ranking system by Neo82 is selfmade. All is written by himself and only! some images for the different medals and ribbons are used with permission by the FH2 dev team. This was also stated in this other big ass discussion by a FH2 dev - I think it was Ligthning, but plz correct me if I am wrong. Nothing is hacked or anything else - POINT!

And tbh, I don't know why we still come back to this discussion with all these repetetive assumptions like Theta still bringing up his experiences from a time with admins, who aren't active in any way anymore.
Nor do I see him on any server to actually judge the situation.  ::)

I just said, that people should join another server, if their favorite server is empty and to try to fill them up - it's difficult, but it is possible and here are alot of guys lurking in the forum who migth join with a kickstart. And I only said that 762 servers are my favorite servers for valid reasons and that other people might join another server (equal qich one) if their favorite server (might be hslan) gets empty. And still people bring up all this senseless stuff with 762 vs. hslan. If you don't like 762, don't join it. Join fsfa or whatever - but play the game if you like it, because that's the point of the mod - to play it. And the point by you Sheikyerbouti is a very important point. By not playing the mod you kill it much faster, than with playing on a different server and you just reach the oposite of your intention. You won't help devs this way, you will punish them and propably kill the motiviation to keep on modding.

Btw: hslan is up again and did not went to hell ;)

Offline Dago Red

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-06-2012, 05:06:26 »
What are you guys talking about?

If hslan is down or it's past 8pm EST time (US), then go to WAW.  I have been playing FH on WOLF since 2004. WOLF and FH were like peanut butter and jelly. Like wine and cheese. Like pie and coffee. 

Wolf went down with the death of FH2 in the Americas this year, but WAW is still more than active -- you have no excuse not to play FH2 just because your European server is down now and then.