Author Topic: Command vehicles in Normandy?  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
Command vehicles in Normandy?
« on: 30-03-2009, 23:03:38 »
This is less of a suggestion thread and more of a 'soliciting suggestions' thread - I remembered just now that the Dorchester, at least on the German and American sides, cannot be used in Normandy for historical reasons. The Germans could get the command 251 (that was apparently lost in an HDD crash...) but what would the Americans use? I've genuinely no clue on this one. From what I can gather the British could use an updated Dorchester.

So, any suggestions for American command vehicles? Or Soviet, Italian, Japanese et cetera ones if people have a particular knowledge of them. And most importantly, what do the devs intend to use in 2.2 and beyond?
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

azreal

Re: Command vehicles in Normandy?
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 23:03:02 »
I'm thinking the Germans could def. use the Hanomag command variant, as it could also be used in NA. As for the Americans, perhaps one of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Scout_Car

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:30 »
The americans could use the M20 Armoured Car.
From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_Greyhound
The M20 Armored Utility Car, also known as the M20 Scout Car, was a Greyhound with the turret removed. This was replaced with a low, armored open-topped superstructure and an AA ring mount for a .50 caliber M2 heavy machinegun AA. A bazooka was provided for the crew to compensate for its lack of anti-armor weaponry. The M20 was primarily used as a command vehicle and for forward reconnaissance, but many vehicles also served as APCs and cargo carriers. It offered high speed and excellent mobility, along with a degree of protection against small arms fire and shrapnel. When employed in the command and control role, the M20 was fitted with additional radio equipment. Originally designated the M10 Armored Utility Car, it was redesignated M20 to avoid confusion with the M10 Wolverine tank destroyer. 3,680 M20s were built by Ford during its two years in production (1943-1944).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/M20_Armored_Utility_Vehicle_1.JPG

Seems quite a few were built, and the version in the mod could just be missing the armament.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-03-2009, 01:03:47 »
Leave a .50 cal on, seeing as it is an open topped vehicle and should be able to defend itself. Then you could use it as an APC or a separate model with conspicuous aerials as a command vehicle. Also, consider some of the artillery tractors used by the US Army, such as the M4, M5, and M6 high speed tractors- speedy, spacious, and have good mobility. You could also have doors to protect the commander, though I don't know if they were ever used. (they could also be used as repair vehicles if that feature is ever implemented.)
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-03-2009, 01:03:36 »
Another suggestion would be to add the red license plate-thing containing the amount of stars that would apply to the appropriate general rank (if applicable).

Heck, why not the rest of the M3 with it?

Offline Karl Hungus

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Company
« Reply #5 on: 31-03-2009, 06:03:53 »
Patton used a Dodge WC-56 or 57.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oldman/Patton's_WC-57.htm

Production numbers and varients:

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_dodge_g502_wc.php

One of my favorite varients is the WC-55 (M-6 Gun Motor Carriage)

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_wc55.php

Offline The Crimson Major

• I'm an Armchair General!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31-03-2009, 07:03:07 »
Give the advent of 'fausts and 'zooks wouldn't they be a lot more vulnerable? I feel like they would be less useful/more stationary in Normandy. But why not eh?
sig.

Civius

« Reply #7 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:56 »
General Patton's WTF-vehicle. I'd like that  ::)

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:46 »
I don't really think they would be more vulnerable because you actually need to get quite close to use faust or zook to take them out whereas with ATR you can be in your hiding place and shoot them safely from afar.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:30 »
Somewhere in one of my books I found an image of a command Stuart. Those seriously look awesome  :P
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:38 »
They could reskin vehicles that have to be made anyway (like the halftrack or the american truck that has yet to be shown).

azreal

« Reply #11 on: 31-03-2009, 17:03:06 »
You mean the GMC truck from FH1? I'd vote for the M20...

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31-03-2009, 18:03:06 »
Oh we totally forgot about this Vehicles.  :o Say thank you to Meadow that now the Release is delayed the Time 3 more Vehicles need to model, Texture and Export  ;D

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #13 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:27 »
6. We demand difference in skins and versions.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-03-2009, 23:03:16 »
You could try these for the Gerries.

SdKfz 265 Panzerbefehlswagen

The germans also used command tanks based on later tanks, but these were Panzer 4s or 3s with radios added and the normal turret kept, which seems a bit unfair to the allies and a bit to easy on the german commander.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER