Author Topic: Forgotten Features  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Forgotten Features
« on: 20-06-2010, 02:06:16 »
There are some features that have been once mentioned or have already been included in FH0.7 that seems to be forgotten.

First I'd like to ask whether we will see tanks camouflaged with brushwood(?) again like we had on the Stugs in 0.7. Would be great to have a tank with some camo again. Cp:

And then I stumbled upon an delevoper interview when googling FH2 lately dated 2006. google entry #3. Cp: here

http://www.bf-games.net/readnews/4575/fh2_interview_bf_center_de.html

Short as it is, it mentions some interesting features: recon airplanes, smoke screens and air strikes as commander assets. Well, I think we don't really have any of these yet. We got recon planes, but no commander controlled ones.
We got smoke barrages, but those are rather small like an artillerystrike. What I got in mind when talking about smoke barrages is a long stretched wall of smoke. Like releasing 10 smoke rounds with a PIII on aberdeen while driving full speed horizontally to the front line. Would give both sides on africa maps great chances for assaults.
And finally we had those neat player controlled remote bombers in FH0.7. What about a remote airstrike for the commander? Lets say, a very heavy airstrike, like 3 Stukas approaching a position, but therefor they would approach from off-map and could been seen early.

However, I think some of these features have been scrapped or forgotten, so I'd like to commemorate these once again.

Edit:// fixes
« Last Edit: 20-06-2010, 02:06:15 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Features
« Reply #1 on: 20-06-2010, 03:06:58 »
<3 cammo with stug :D
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-06-2010, 04:06:25 »
Suggested millions of Times before, but, i cant stop saying... Please do it!

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #3 on: 20-06-2010, 05:06:23 »
  Actually...Maybe the booze talking but....We do have a vehicle drop for BF2.  Why not assign the vehicle that is used to a no model effect like smoke.  Give commanders another tool.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-06-2010, 10:06:23 »
We allready have camo branches for tanks. so far just nobody added them to the tanks... forgotten.

This interview is from before our initial release. its about ideas how to use the commander stuff. today we know that many things are simple not possible or wont fit well into fh2 gameplay. recon planes for example. we have the storch or piper where we want this planes. but its a player controlled object. not commander controlled. same for the smoke barriers. on maps like aberdeen the lefh18 can fire smoke rounds and protect the tanks. also the tanks can lay smoke. this is more Fh2 Player interact with players and not with a commander in a seat somewhere.

Remote controlled bombers.....if anyone can do code this in bf2 working like in fh1 i will hug him for hours :P i want this so much but so far we have no clue how to do it..... :-\

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-06-2010, 18:06:46 »
This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXia9ihIjY

Then This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23eQ4DQqKM&feature=related

And This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWZd5IYnVo&NR=1

Shows that it is Possible.

Also FHSW has an awesome system for Stukas and other CAS Airplanes. The thing is, theres a Spotting Kit (Like in FH1), you mark a Target (Each Kit has different Airplanes Names) and you Spawn inside the, lets say, Stuka G. You start diving directly to the Target, cant do anything but adjusting your Aim a little bit and fire, like a Real strafing Run. When you complete the Strafing Run, afaik the Airplane explodes and you can return to Ground Combat. When you spotted the Target, a Radio will Spawn near you, Press E on it and you'll Spawn inside the Airplane. Would be Usefull for smaller maps, like lets say, Bessin.

How we could get this to work in FH2? Maybe adding a Radio at HQ or MainBase, in wich you act as "Artillery", you Recieve Spots like in Arty and i dont know, Dive?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-06-2010, 18:06:44 »
How we could get this to work in FH2? Maybe adding a Radio at HQ or MainBase, in wich you act as "Artillery", you Recieve Spots like in Arty and i dont know, Dive?

How would that be different to flying an actual plane?

The problem is that both solutions which the videos present don't do what toddel meant. In FH you took out the kit and then the planes would spawn and fly in a straight line across the way that you pointed them to fly at. Giving you a seat in the bombers target station and you could drop the bombs when ever a target came across the path.

A static UAV wouldn't be helpful for FH2 and a moving one is already covered by the storch and piper.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-06-2010, 23:06:59 »
Im giving an Idea of smaller maps, if you want airplanes, spawn them.

Not gonna happen, something tells me that. But i still think Commander "Controlled" Airplanes would Work. Now take PR. Im pretty sure in PR you can (As Commander) Acces to a Trailer or something and call in UAV. Since i dont play PR, i think you can control this UAV, spot and recon. Now try to add some Bombs and MGs and i dont know, since you can control it from a safe place.

Now add a Timer so the Airplane Dissapears or you lose control of it and it Drives out of Bounds. If this is Possible and gets Added, wich i dont think it will be, then it will add something better to do for the Comm. Rather than sit in a Radio, Issue orders that nobody Follows, drop supplies at tanks and use arty, wich is the best toy of Comm.

I dont know, thats my point of View.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-06-2010, 08:06:58 »
Good to see the foliage being implemented, just please don't make it excessive or look like its growing from the tank.
I trust you guys with the implmentation, just that it can easily have a negative effect on the look when is doesn't look real or logical, or is half-assed.

I think commander smoke being changed to a organzied "wall" like what was mentioned is actually a great idea, even moreso if you could decide the direction of the line/axis of drop.

Static artillery smoke rounds are okay, but they cannot drop and sustain a proper screen. A commander smoke drop on the other hand could be on a similar timer to artillery, and properly mask an assault along a certain axis.

I imagine it to work like this: 5-8 shots fired in a straight line, all landing consecutively (each a second or so after the last), leaving about a 40-60 second smoke "wall". Basically a static artillery smoke drop, but with a much better tactical effect. If the direction the shells are dropped in is actually possible to control, then even better.

It would actually promote teamwork within the commander and squads, something FH2 doesn't really do, except the very rare supply drop.

As for the airstrike and recon plane, seems like the current system works for those, any kind of intel sweep removes the little use of the recon plane as it is. And the airstrike is basically another artillery strike.
« Last Edit: 21-06-2010, 08:06:10 by Mazz »
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-06-2010, 09:06:43 »
Probably unable to control the direction of a "line" of smoke shells.

However, just having a pure smoke barrage separate from the regular arty strike would be nice.

As it is, smoke mixed with arty has the smoke dropping first, effectively warning the strike zone that pain is on the way and giving an extra second or two to grab cover.

Trying to attack into a strike to make use of the smoke begs for TKs.

After the strike, the smoke shells have already been used for quite some time and soon disperse, leaving the attackers without visual cover.

Pure smoke would be nice to be used just for cover, while pure explosives are obviously for barrages.

If unable, then a nice effect would be to have smoke shells fired last, so the strike would actually seem more true to life and effective; the arty softens the target, then the smoke comes in to cover attackers and further disorient defenders.