Author Topic: Gaddafi and Libya  (Read 67847 times)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Gaddafi and Libya
« on: 20-02-2011, 16:02:11 »
I'm currently really unsure about Lybia. Gaddafi appeared to be very well established in Lybia. I doubt that a few protesters will wipe away Gaddafi that easily. The more confusing reports are, that some high military leaders support the protesters and that parts of the common police refuses to take actions against the protesters but join them. Bengasi was reported to be under control of the Lybian opposition. It has been also stated that Gaddafi recruited foreign mercenaries to shoot at the protesters. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERs2pERiMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBWbyMgcbcU
« Last Edit: 22-02-2011, 20:02:07 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
Re: Gaddafi and Lybia
« Reply #1 on: 20-02-2011, 17:02:44 »
I'm curious as to how this will develop as well. Khadaffi is by far the most iconic of all arab/North African/Mediteranean dictators so it will be weird to see him go. He will have to leave eventually, but it will be tough to unseat a guy who thinks he's god's gift to the world. Well, they all think that, but somehow Khadaffi comes across as the most short-sighted and narcissistic of the bunch.

Cool to see that even euro-thug Berlusconi seems to be a "victim" of this revolutionary winter, although in different way. Can't wait to see him leave either. :-)
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-02-2011, 19:02:45 »
Unlike Egypt, Libya has no allies so there is no one to apply international pressure to stop them from massacring 1,000's of people.  :(

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-02-2011, 19:02:27 »
True, also no real natural resources that the west wants and no strategical canals like in egypt.

I smell a civil war.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #4 on: 20-02-2011, 19:02:38 »
Can't wait to see the Man with a Thousand Names go. Seriously, theres like 50 ways to spell his name  ;D Maybe he can fix stuff by appointing one of his sons as new leader. Doubt the people will accept that but his 2 oldest sons are not such a looney as him. His youngest son however.. Fits in the row of agressive, angry and ruthless dictators.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-02-2011, 22:02:02 »
I guess they really don't like him there

Offline Dnarag1M

• WoT Team
  • Forgotten Hope Alliance
    • View Profile
    • mah website
« Reply #6 on: 20-02-2011, 23:02:31 »
True, also no real natural resources that the west wants and no strategical canals like in egypt.

I smell a civil war.

You mean only Europe's 4th largest oil supplier?   8)

p.s. Protesters are now in Tripolo. Part of the army and police seem to have sided with the protesters, and have secured several zones including urban areas.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-02-2011, 03:02:38 »
kill them all with tanks and machine guns!! all dictators have divine rights to rule, this is common sense. Going against god's will = sent to hell.

oh well, I hate to say this, but in the past(long time ago...) if you participate in labor unions(in USA) you have similar odds of getting killed, have your house searched, liberty taken away from you, and condemned as a communist. Fortunately, things seemed to be much better now. Civilization takes time(and unfortunately, blood) to progress, right?

I learn all dark things of US from a US history course in an US history, be proud of yourselves Americans... be damn proud, at least not like those Japanese who say the pacifc war/war with China is to liberate them from imperialistic rule! (and ON TEXTBOOKS)
« Last Edit: 21-02-2011, 03:02:43 by General_Henry »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-02-2011, 05:02:15 »
If anyone remembered this news from Switzerland (probably this is what Fuchs mean):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7512925.stm

I remembered his sister talking about the prison being compared with Abu Gharib in Iraq.

Well, anyone living in a poor country (with approx. USD 12,000 GDP per capita (quite nice) according to CIA, mostly goes to Gaddafi and his cronies) while the leader is having fun overseas, could expect something like this.

IMO, EU has banned Zimbabwean PM Robert Mugabe from travelling there, due to his wife spending spree in some ritzy shops, while uncontrollable inflation engulfs his and her country.

General Henry: But, surely these guys aren't 中山装 (Chairman Mao's tunic)-wearing modest leader like Zhou Enlai, Sun Yat Sen did. Eventhough they are quite oppressive, at least they show some degree of virtue, thus some still think of "divine rights". While the other similar leaders, shops overseas, wear Gucci, Armani, carry Prada bags, and sorts of.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-02-2011, 07:02:58 »
If anyone remembered this news from Switzerland (probably this is what Fuchs mean):

I remembered his sister talking about the prison being compared with Abu Gharib in Iraq.

Well, anyone living in a poor country (with approx. USD 12,000 GDP per capita (quite nice) according to CIA, mostly goes to Gaddafi and his cronies) while the leader is having fun overseas, could expect something like this.

IMO, EU has banned Zimbabwean PM Robert Mugabe from travelling there, due to his wife spending spree in some ritzy shops, while uncontrollable inflation engulfs his and her country.

General Henry: But, surely these guys aren't 中山装 (Chairman Mao's tunic)-wearing modest leader like Zhou Enlai, Sun Yat Sen did. Eventhough they are quite oppressive, at least they show some degree of virtue, thus some still think of "divine rights". While the other similar leaders, shops overseas, wear Gucci, Armani, carry Prada bags, and sorts of.

Communism FTW, oh wait....

ha, maybe a few guys being rich is better than everyone being equally poor, who knows. It's nice to be an aristocrat for sure.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-02-2011, 08:02:59 »
Interesting trivia: Did you know Gaddafi was born on June 7th 1942 - at the height of the Battle of Gazala?

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #11 on: 21-02-2011, 11:02:21 »
Interesting trivia: Did you know Gaddafi was born on June 7th 1942 - at the height of the Battle of Gazala?

You know it is, - I'd like to hear more facts like this on our TV, rather than what I'd woken to, "Britain was the one who trained Gaddafi therefore we must hang our heads in international shame and set about organising who gets compensation for this."

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21-02-2011, 11:02:44 »
You know it is, - I'd like to hear more facts like this on our TV, rather than what I'd woken to, "Britain was the one who trained Gaddafi therefore we must hang our heads in international shame and set about organising who gets compensation for this."

Really? After he told somebody to bomb a plane that killed many people both in the plane and the village it crashed into?

I thought Britain and him were big enemies. So big that the news of released bombers enraged the whole nation.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21-02-2011, 11:02:31 »

Really? After he told somebody to bomb a plane that killed many people both in the plane and the village it crashed into?

I thought Britain and him were big enemies. So big that the news of released bombers enraged the whole nation.
Britain the people and Britain the government seem to have nothing in common these days.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #14 on: 21-02-2011, 15:02:47 »

Thats indeed what I was talking about, I think thats not the only time he slapped people  :P People like that are really, really dangerous..

Funny that this happens right now, my February issue of Kijk (Dutch magazine about science/history/politics/anything) had a big report on Gaddafi and how he rose to power and what would happen if hell broke loose.

Just read the papers from today, over 100 deaths already..
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."