Author Topic: FH2: Forgotten Maps [SP/COOP] DOWNLOAD [UPDATE 05/13/16]  (Read 100140 times)

Offline StormVolt979

• View Profile
Re: FH2: Forgotten Maps [SP/COOP] DOWNLOAD [UPDATE 05/13/16]
« Reply #105 on: 16-05-2016, 23:05:01 »
This map pack is seriously amazing! Adds plenty of new content for singleplayer players such as myself, so needless to say, I am super happy with this, as well as your layers for the eastern front, and Pegasus layers. However, I was wondering if you will also be making singleplayer layers for the Pacific maps that have been used for a few of the FH tournaments. Will you be doing those sometime in the future, or not?

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 16-05-2016, 23:05:18 »
Glad you enjoy it.

Taking Maps directly from FH Tournament Packs as I have done it with several in the past can prove quite complicated, especially with complex new theatres like the Pacific. In addition to that, as I have stated before, the Pacific Maps ported directly from FH 0.7 never really met the quality requirements that I had in mind for a map worth investing time into and many of those were centred around Naval and Aerial combat - a focus you don't want to have for Coop mainly because afaik there is no way of teaching the AI to use a destroyer properly, for example.

However, since the FHT / 762 / WaW Community Map Pack is about to be finished up and released, and it features several remastered Pacific Maps that look promising, I will definitly take a look at it and see wether something can be done. Since a large part of a whole new faction will have to be made AI-compatible though, this may become quite a challenge and definitly takes a lot of time. Time I don't have for at least two months, so this whole issue is scheduled for the (late) summer.

Anyway rest assured that I am always on the lookout for new quality stuff to bring AI support to, and though it has been years since I last participated in an FH campaign, I still check out the Maps they build and play regularly to evaluate wether they might just work with AI on them.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 20-05-2016, 15:05:27 »
Just a little heads up, minor update today that affects all packs, mostly concerning the cosmetics.
For those who care about this stuff, you'll have to redownload. Sorry. But it had to be done.
Thanks hugely for doing this work. I'm now running the maps on my dedicated coop server '[JDR] FH2 2.51 COOP':
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/jrc-core.com:16567/

If I notice any problems, I'll post them here.

One thing: is there any chance you could add a text file somewhere that indicates the date of the version installed? Without this I can never be sure what version I'm running. For example, I know that the latest version at this point was updated on May 13, but what version do I have installed? I downloaded the files on May 13, the same day you last updated them. Did I get the most recent ones or not? I'd like to avoid downloading the files again, just to be sure I have the latest version.

Sorry, one more thing: are there any special instructions for installing the maps on a dedicated server? I just copied all the new level files and the three new folders in the mods/fh2 folder to the server, and of course added the maps to the map list. I haven't tested them fully, but they are basically working. It's just that I'd like to be sure that I haven't left out any steps.

Okay, this is weird: the Malmedy map appears as Operation Greif in some BF2 server managers and status displays.
« Last Edit: 20-05-2016, 15:05:13 by jrivett »

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 20-05-2016, 17:05:25 »
I figured it would only be a matter of time until someone would come up with the release-date-stamp issue :) I will keep that in mind for the next update.

The map Malmedy is "Operation Greif" - there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm afraid I'll be of limited assistance for the server-issue. I mostly run local dedicated servers out of the original FH2 mod folder. But in theory it should work.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 20-05-2016, 18:05:20 »
I decided to rename Malmedy to Operation Greif because the name of that town in mostly associated with the war crime that happened there.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 31-05-2016, 03:05:00 »
Okay, for what it's worth, here are the results of my testing these maps on my public dedicated FH2 2.51 server.

X = problems; unless otherwise noted, these maps don't even show up in the server map list.
- AFRIKA
   X beda fomm
   X kasserine pass
   - operation_aberdeen
   - siege_of_tobruk_night_v3
   - mersa_macoop
   - el_agheila
   - sidi_muftah
   - fort_capuzzo
- FRANCE
   - argentan
   X bloody gulch
   - carentan
   X juin 44
   X longues sur mer
   X ste mere eglise CRASHES SERVER AFTER A FEW SECONDS
   X valkenswaard
WINTER
   - advance_on_foy
   - malmedy/greif
   - op_nordwind
   X orscholtz switch
   X reichswald

That's not bad, though: 11 of the 20 maps work fine on a dedicated server.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 31-05-2016, 13:05:24 »
Noted.

However, again - I have no clue why that would be and without any engine-based error messages I don't even have a lead on fixing this, neither do I have the option to test it myself. If you by chance find the roots of the problems or even a solution yourself, please relay them to me, I will then see to it that the files will be updated.

I can just stress once more that for me, 100% of these work on private LAN based dedicated servers every time I host one. But I figure that the framework being used for public hosting is quite different.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 31-05-2016, 18:05:46 »
Many of the maps that have an X exist in different map packs and require different minimods.  They are not the same maps, just the same name. 

If you are trying to run maps with Darman's coop support make sure they all come from him and not some other source.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 02-06-2016, 13:06:11 »
If you by chance find the roots of the problems or even a solution yourself, please relay them to me, I will then see to it that the files will be updated.
UPDATE: A friend noticed that the 'info' subdirectory of the maps that fail to appear on the map list uses mixed case. The name of the folder is 'Info' instead of 'info'. Also the 'desc' file was mixed case for several of these maps. I renamed all of the affected files and folders and restarted the server, and now they almost all appear on the map list. Testing shows that most of them play fine as well. Why is case an issue? Because I'm running a Linux server, and on Linux, the case of files and folder names matters. 'Info' is not equivalent to 'info' like it is on Windows.

Here's the current list:
FORGOTTEN MAPS THAT DON'T WORK:
- kasserine pass: "Unable to add Map "Kasserine Pass" because it does NOT Exist in the Mod "fh2""
   - presumably there's still a file or folder name with mixed case causing problems
- ste mere eglise CRASHES SERVER AFTER A FEW seconds
- valkenswaard CRASHES SERVER AFTER A FEW MINUTES
- reichswald CLIENT CRASH AT VERIFY/JOIN GAME

I can just stress once more that for me, 100% of these work on private LAN based dedicated servers every time I host one. But I figure that the framework being used for public hosting is quite different.
I don't think it's really that different. Server packages for mods are just the levels folders, minus any client files, and any required mod-global files, again minus any client files. Of course FH2 is special in that it also includes its own executables.
« Last Edit: 02-06-2016, 13:06:37 by jrivett »

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 02-06-2016, 14:06:50 »
Well, good thing the problem is easily fixable.

On the Maps that still crash/don't work:
I have no Idea why Kasserine Pass wouldn't work, maybe you are right and it is a case error.
On Valkenswaard I too experience crashing sometimes, however most of the times it runs fine - I couldn't figure out how to trigger the crash and therefore wasn't able to pinpoint the error yet.
The Reichswald issue again is/was one of double loaded networkables. It should have been resolved however in the current version of the pack. I noticed it myself and fixed it right away iirc. But I'll double check to make sure.
St Mere Eglise was always a troublemaker. I fixed a lot of issues on it recently, but I guess I'll have to look into it some more.

Now on the server topic, just out of curiosity - Are you running rotations of maps with Bots on it? Doesn't that imply that the number of Bots, their accuracy and the team ratio of the Bots is predefined and applied to every map in the same way? In that case I must warn you, most of the maps require very different Bot setups to be enjoyable.
In case you can somehow control these values while the server is running, I would be intrigued to know how.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 02-06-2016, 16:06:59 »
I'll definitely post more details if I discover anything more about the problem maps. Kasserine in particular is likely a case issue and therefore easy to solve once the problem file or folder is located.

Now on the server topic, just out of curiosity - Are you running rotations of maps with Bots on it? Doesn't that imply that the number of Bots, their accuracy and the team ratio of the Bots is predefined and applied to every map in the same way? In that case I must warn you, most of the maps require very different Bot setups to be enjoyable. In case you can somehow control these values while the server is running, I would be intrigued to know how.
Yes, the team ratio is currently 1:1 for all maps in the rotation. We're still evaluating all the new maps, but plan to set up two new map rotations once testing is complete. One rotation where humans all play as Allies, and another where humans all play as Axis. In each case, the human team has half or even fewer the number of soldiers as the other team. Usually (but not necessarily), the human side is on the attack.

Offline cuisinart8

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 24-06-2016, 05:06:48 »
I'm having a similar problem as jrivett was having with the maps not showing up, but I'm on Windows 10. Also, he appears to have been getting maps I wasn't. The maps that aren't showing up in the list are:
Argentan
Bloody Gulch
Kasserine Pass
El Aghelia
Fort Capuzzo
Carentan
Juin 44
Longues sur Mer
Ste. Mare Eglise
Valkenswaard
Operation Grief
Operation Nordwind
Reichswald

Everything else except for Aberdeen shows up on the list but are missing the briefing images. All maps missing the images give me and instant CTD with no message other than "Forgottenhope2.exe has stopped working." I downloaded and installed with the .exe files, so I'm not sure what could be causing these problems. Any idea?

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 24-06-2016, 10:06:38 »
Oh wtf. They are not showing up in the game at all or just in the server rotation or something?

Because the first option would be extremely weird. That should by all means not be the case.

In the second case, again - I have no clue why that would be, I never hosted a permanent server, I don't know what files the server trys to access, I don't understand the infrastructure behind it. If someone could, on a single case of a map - provide a solution blueprint, I would be happy to fix everything to get it working with the servers. Until then, I simply can't take action, because I lack the knowledge.

Offline cuisinart8

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 24-06-2016, 17:06:38 »
They're just not showing up in game at all. The map files are in the levels folder, and I can access the briefing pics even for the maps in the game that don't show the pics. I have no clue what could be causing this, as the maps seem to have all the necessary files (cross-checked with co-op maps that I know work) and they don't seem to be corrupted.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 24-06-2016, 17:06:19 »
So just to make sure - you will have to access them like this:

Co-Op Guide

Do not try to play them in singleplayer and make sure to "reselect" Co-op as mode in the Local/Create Screen, as it will always show conquest maps by default.