Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  (Read 63307 times)

Offline DannyNickelov

• Freedom isn't freedom without fighting for it.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« on: 31-10-2010, 10:10:38 »
''It's an illusion that the Zone is under lock and key, and the army has all the ways in and out sealed and all that bullshit. Think about it, these days unique items found only in the zone can be found all over the world, and your stalker buddies never had a shortage of canned meat, vodka, ammo or equipment. Somebody's gotta be responsible for that, right?'' - Docent Suslov

The Zone of Alienation, or simply "The Zone," is the 30 km wide area of exclusion that was set up around the Chernobyl NPP following the 1986 disaster and perverted by the second Chernobyl disaster in 2006.

''The Zone''

The Zone of Alienation stretches between the borders of the Ukraine and Belarus, and is kept protected by the Ukrainian authorities. Due to the radical decrease in human presence and activity, wildlife has flourished in the Zone and the area is often described as having been "reclaimed by nature". Following the 2006 disaster, animals and plants have been grotesquely mutated and deadly anomalies abound.

Wildlife roams freely in the remains of the former USSR.

Supposedly, the area is kept under lockdown by the military. However, the prospect of lucrative looting and treasure hunting has led a large number of opportunists known as Stalkers to jump fence into The Zone itself. These people are either operating for themselves, or in factions. Among the more notable groups are Duty, Freedom and the Ecologists.

Research is constantly ongoing to find out the nature and origin of The Zone, as well as a means to counter it. There are many different beliefs concerning the truth of, and reasonable response to, The Zone. For example, Duty members are attempting to "fight the Zone" while Freedom believes that the entire area is a gift to mankind and should be shared equally by all of humanity. During the course of the games, some characters express concern that the Zone might be growing and increasing its influence on the world; which eventually turns out to be the case.

''Origin''

The Zone of Alienation, and the many psi-emitting facilities (such as the Brain Scorcher), were set up as a means to protect the activities of the C-Consciousness from outside interference. As the people who make up the C-Consciousness, and the equipment with which they operate, are located within the city of Pripyat, the Chernobyl NPP, and very likely the town of Limansk, the dangerous and mysterious Zone was acting as a barrier all around the core of the C-Consciousness project.

So... GSC is working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and maybe patches for Call of Pripyat.

Whadda you think of S.T.A.L.KE.R.?

« Last Edit: 31-10-2010, 11:10:54 by Thorondor123 »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #1 on: 31-10-2010, 10:10:14 »
SoC is one of the best games I've ever played. I also liked CoP a lot but CS wasnt nowhere near as good as the two others, but still enjoyable.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:45 »
I have not yet finished SoC and I have also bought CoP.

If you like the games, I would suggest you to read the novella Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. That is, of course, the story that Stalker is based on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/reader/0575079789?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
« Last Edit: 31-10-2010, 11:10:16 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline DannyNickelov

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:34 »

If you like the games, I would suggest you to read the novella Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. That is, of course, the story that Stalker is based on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/reader/0575079789?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Thanks, Andrey Tarkovsky also made a movie about a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcevEw1vczQ&feature=related

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:23 »

Thanks, Andrey Tarkovsky also made a movie about a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcevEw1vczQ&feature=related
Yeah, I have seen that. Its... bit strange but also kinda good in it's own way.
« Last Edit: 31-10-2010, 11:10:47 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline pureperversions

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:52 »
the stalker games are just amazing, buggy at times but great fun one of the two series that i must get when ever they come out

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:07 »
I play SoC with Complete 2009 mod and it adds so much to the game in graphical and sound department without changing the game mechanics. It also enables freeplay if one finishes the game correct way. I cant think of many games which had the athmosphere that sucked me in totally. The feeling of being there in a world that lives around you is great and even thought I have finished SoC, I still love to go around for hunts occassionally. I liked the story too.

Call of Pripyat was a great game and I was completely into it from start to end. But it didnt appeal to me as much as SoC did. Also I didnt really fancy having only three areas, altho Pripyat was amazingly good and felt extremely lonely while strolling  the streets, only to see a humanlike figure stare at me from the other end of the street and then disappear around the corner. Things like that are spooky and fun!

Clear Sky is a nice game aswell and it has a lot of things original SoC didnt but all in all it felt just out of place to play it AFTER completing SoC since it is a prequel to the original game.

Now I only hope the project name "S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2" wont suck and wont fall into the problems many multiplatform games do. I read the game is a sequel to Call of Pripyat, so I expect to see Major Degtyarev again, but I hope it wont be the first game to not have Strelok, which seems likely considering Strelok managed to finally leave the zone in the end of CoP (proper ending).

What I also hope is a Stalker MMO. Take the map from SoC & CS and stick in the areas from CoP, open up the world so you can travel everywhere, join factions of your choosing, modify your weapons and gear, have professions and so on. This would be an amazing opportunity for MMO-gaming. I personally find a lot of potential to it.

Offline DannyNickelov

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:40 »
Nice review, Flippy.

'S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2' is based on better multiplayer then SoC, CS and CoP. I read it on a Russian 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' site.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31-10-2010, 11:10:02 »
Multiplayer?  :-\

I have NEVER even bothered to try Stalker multiplayers...

Offline DannyNickelov

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: 31-10-2010, 12:10:58 »
Multiplayer?  :-\

I have NEVER even bothered to try Stalker multiplayers...

Indeed. Multiplayer isn't that great in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it's ugly. I had a fail in SoC so i have to start over with SoC.

SoC is the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. out there, like Flippy said, it gives the player an eerie feeling, more then in CS or CoP, But CoP is a little bit scary too, Pripyat and some underground tunnels etc, Brrr, i love those feelings in games, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the best with those!
« Last Edit: 31-10-2010, 12:10:28 by DannyNickelov »

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-10-2010, 12:10:47 »
I only played SoC but couldn't finish it. Somehow near the end I got into highly radiated part of that level (after the big assault) with nothing on me to resist that much radiation and I couldn't go back anymore because of the game's script so I just kept dying. Since I have to do it all over again I had to have a bit of a break from the game, but now that I'm a little bit more experienced with this type of game (after playing through Fallout 3 2 times in a row) I'm soooo looking forward to beginning STALKER al over again, mods and all.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Heinrich (Mr.Uniwersum_GER)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31-10-2010, 13:10:52 »
I like all the STALKER games they are great with some mods and I also like all the 8 books they have appeared now.

Offline DannyNickelov

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: 31-10-2010, 13:10:23 »
I only played SoC but couldn't finish it. Somehow near the end I got into highly radiated part of that level (after the big assault) with nothing on me to resist that much radiation and I couldn't go back anymore because of the game's script so I just kept dying. Since I have to do it all over again I had to have a bit of a break from the game, but now that I'm a little bit more experienced with this type of game (after playing through Fallout 3 2 times in a row) I'm soooo looking forward to beginning STALKER al over again, mods and all.

You 2? I always enjoy S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when i didn't played it for months. I also had to begin over, i was at the Brain Scorcher and then somewhere in Pripyat where a sniper with a GAUSS rifle is shooting at you, there, somewhere with high radiation level, i died.

2 days ago, i was at 1000 Rads bar, when i had a side-mission called: Find the family weapon. You need to load a map to find that weapon, it is at a Merc base. At that time the scientists and the Merrcs were in fight and you need to help the scientists. Ih elped them and found the weapon. So i wanted to return the weapon to that giuy in the bar. So i loaded the map, and then the message : Task Failed: Meet Krugov.

Damn what a waste...

Looking forward to start over ;D

And the '2009 Mod' Torondor was talking about is the BEST S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod out there, but you need a goddawn good computer to play it.

( Sorry for very bad English )
« Last Edit: 31-10-2010, 13:10:04 by DannyNickelov »

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31-10-2010, 13:10:48 »
This weekend on steam it's 70 % discount!! Right now i'm downloading SoC and CoP for only 7.99 €! Damn awesome, never played the game before.

Oh and Flippy, do you play SoC over steam? I just downloaded the complete 2009 mod, too and wondered if it will work with steam

Offline DannyNickelov

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: 31-10-2010, 13:10:47 »
This weekend on steam it's 70 % discount!! Right now i'm downloading SoC and CoP for only 7.99 €! Damn awesome, never played the game before.

Oh and Flippy, do you play SoC over steam? I just downloaded the complete 2009 mod, too and wondered if it will work with steam

Lucky betch! I bought SoC for 7 Euro and CoP for 30 Euro

And yes it can run with steam, but i forgot the way how to do it.