Author Topic: Traction Wars - WW2 realistic FPS  (Read 47264 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Wars
« Reply #330 on: 28-07-2014, 23:07:05 »
^ Well you know, mods die, eventually. It's sad to see all the hard work go to waste.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it, we'll be running Cry Engine 6 at least, when FH2 starts to die out, and people will probably laugh about how "low-poly" the models used to look, just like we do today when we remember 3D games from the 90s.  :P
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 28-07-2014, 23:07:54 »
Of course mods die, but that doesn't mean the content was wasted. After all, people had fun with it for years. Nothing lasts forever.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 29-07-2014, 02:07:21 »
I'm not taking sides, but if I was a FH developer I would be more than happy to donate my models to more games/mods.
Especially donating them on a newer engine (CryENGINE for an example) that has cool lighting, parallax occlusion on the stone etc.

Like I said, somewhat before, they can have their choice we cannot force them to do this.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 29-07-2014, 04:07:38 »
I think everyone loves the idea of a game with EVERYTHING. All the content you can imagine; every panzer variant, 'war-thunder' amounts of planes, and maps that cover every aspect of the war 8)

I wonder if that day will ever come. A game with that much WW2 content. I'm already blown away with the quantity the War Thunder art dept has produced.

people will probably laugh about how "low-poly" the models used to look, just like we do today when we remember 3D games from the 90s.  :P

My brother does this to me, he watches me play FH2 after playing games like BF4 and ArmA3 and points out all the 'low-polyness' in the models :P

The benefit of this is when I switch to games like BF4 I'm exta blown away by the graphics and not jaded by it like most people ;D
« Last Edit: 29-07-2014, 04:07:05 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 29-07-2014, 19:07:38 »
Often the vehicles and weapons have the same polycount as back in beginning of FH2.

There is just a "new" (since it´s allready older) technic called normal map baking from high to low poly.
That´s what makes Lowpoly models look more roundish and soft, sometimes also wrong looking to me.
It also supports AA, models look sharper and better rendered on distance.

We did that for some newer Models too, like the LA 5 FN, Marder III M, IL2 and Mp34 for exsample.
But BF2 is a weak engine if it comes to normals and light.
The MP34 would look similiar to those weapons from traction wars, it has atleast the same quality.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 01-08-2014, 07:08:31 »
May I ask whether a pre-2015 release is likely or not? I was just curious how soon I will be able to enjoy this masterpiece.

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 15-08-2014, 23:08:35 »
New update - starring Maniche! Which looks to be advanced tech to create realistic 3rd person animations. :)

http://www.tractionwars.com/news-room/3250-dev-blog-17-traction-wars-motion.html
« Last Edit: 15-08-2014, 23:08:52 by Roughbeak »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 16-09-2014, 00:09:58 »
Just out of interest, will the CE3 engine be able to handle high playercounts while still keeping track of all the lead in the air?

This was a real problem with CE2 which was reportedly designed with "hitscan" weapons in mind, according to the developers of Mechwarrior: Living Legends. So when in MWLL 32 players all started firing several autocannons/lazorz (with each projectile/beam physically modelled instead of just a hit percentage) or loosing up to 80 missile vollleys (each with individual homing) simultaneously, the server simply gave up and everything (including players) started warping around, hit registration became totally random, etc. until the amount of projectiles fell to more manageable levels. The upper limit of the amount of players a server could smoothly handle in that kind of environment was somewhere in the 26-28 range.

Of course, I don't know whether it's even an issue, if everything smaller than a tank gun or mortar can be modelled as "hitscan", and the emphasis is on infantry instead of vehicular combat, and an infantryman usually fires only one gun instead of ten, then the problem does not even exist. But if, say, several MG42's open up and some Brens return fire, and each bullet is modelled as a separate projectile, then the above mentioned phenomenon could rear its ugly head.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 16-09-2014, 00:09:39 »
IIRC that was one of the problems with the Cry Engine. The other was that on big maps, the physics simulation becomes more and more inaccurate the further you are away from the center of the map.

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 16-09-2014, 15:09:36 »
Only time will tell I guess, I'm just posting news here. ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 27-10-2014, 04:10:00 »
Well Gold Beach turned out gorgeous. I see no reason why Schism Rvtl won't make the Merville Battery look any less sexy ;)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 05-11-2014, 00:11:49 »
I think that this will be the only game that can get up to Forgotten Hope 2's standard.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 15-04-2015, 02:04:29 »

Offline Roughbeak

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 15-04-2015, 02:04:19 »
Yeah, nice model!